goldfinch shooting

HPD found two individuals dead on Goldfinch Drive on Thursday after responding to reports of a shooting. 

UPDATE (Dec. 22, 12:50 p.m.): An investigation concluded that Philip W. Pope, 52, of Dayton, Virginia, shot the female victim inside the Goldfinch Drive residence and fled the scene on foot afterward. Pope later shot himself nearby and was also pronounced dead at the scene.

The female victim, 44, was a resident of the Goldfinch Drive address and knew the suspect.

Harrisonburg Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit is still investigating, but has determined this to be an isolated incident with no threat to public safety.

Harrisonburg police discovered two dead individuals on the 1200 block of Goldfinch Drive after responding to a report of a gunshot wound at 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

The Harrisonburg Police Department said this is an isolated incident and there’s no further risk to the public.

Detectives with HPD’s Major Crimes Unit are currently investigating the shooting, and Goldfinch Drive will be shut down Thursday night until further notice. HPD asks anyone with additional information about the shooting to contact the Major Crimes Unit at 540-437-2640. Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Solvers at 540-574-5050.