East campus parking deck

The new parking garage, with 1,500 spots, is said to cost the university $24.3 million. 

JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne announced Friday that a new 1,500-vehicle parking facility on East Campus will be available for use this fall. This is one year earlier than originally expected with construction costs totalling $24.3 million.

“The first functional aspect of the Atlantic Union Bank Center will actually come on line this fall with the opening of a 1500-vehicle parking deck,” Bourne said in the statement. “Thanks to Senior Vice President Charlie King and his staff, we are pleased to be able to open this part of the project ahead of schedule.”

The Atlantic Union Bank Center, the successor to the 37-year-old Convocation Center, is still a year away from opening and hosting the men’s and women’s basketball teams. In the meantime, the parking facility — which will be the largest on campus —  will provide year-round parking for fans, faculty and commuting students.

According to JMU’s website, the parking facility will consist of two parking decks and will be adjacent from the Atlantic Union Bank Center, separated by a courtyard. A dedicated access road will connect to the facility, according to the Atlantic Union Bank Center’s feature page.

Bourne said the facility will “significantly alleviate parking concerns” while classes are in session in addition to serving as space for vehicles at sporting events and other activities on East Campus.