Crash

Virginia State Police said there are no confirmed fatalities from the incident.

According to WHSV, a tractor-trailer carrying U.S. mail on I-64 east lost control and overturned across the eastbound lanes near mile marker 100 at 4:37 a.m. The incident took place on Afton Mountain and hospitalized at least 25 people.

At the time of the incident, the road was wet and icy near the top of the mountain. A Winter Weather Advisory was issued by the National Weather Service due to the near-zero visibility on the mountain.

A Silver Linings Tours bus couldn’t avoid the overturned tractor-trailer and hit it. As a result, the tractor-trailer split in half, and U.S. mail littered the lanes.

The bus was carrying a driver and more than 20 passengers. It came to a stop against a guardrail after it ran off the right side of the road.

The tractor-trailer driver, 44-year-old James Proffitt, of Suffolk, was among the hospitalized. He was taken to the U.Va. Medical Center for treatment of serious non-life threatening injuries. 

The 62-year-old tour bus driver, Andrew L. Burruss of Keswick, was also taken to the U.Va. Medical Center for his non-life threatening injuries.

According to the article, 15 individuals were taken to the U.Va. Medical Center, and four were transported to Augusta Health. All four patients had minor injuries and were released by noon.

Five patients were taken to the Sentara Martha Jefferson Emergency Department as a result of the crash, and all five are in stable condition.

Lanes on both sides of the interstate were reopened as of 9:20 a.m., according to WHSV. The overturned vehicles were moved upright. Due to the conditions, authorities advise individuals traveling in the area to use caution.