MRL

Over $20,000 in outstanding overdue fines were erased. 

The Massanutten Regional Library announced Wednesday that it’s erasing all overdue fines from patron accounts in response to possible economic hardships of COVID-19 according to a press release.

Library Director Lois Jones said this decision to eliminate overdue fines “removes a potential barrier that might prevent some patrons from using the library’s materials and online resources.”

The release said over $20,000 in outstanding overdue fines were erased, which includes accounts from over 4,000 children under the age of 18. 

“With all the other worries in the world right now, an overdue fine should not be one of them,” Jones said.

Because the MRL is closed, the due date for all materials has been extended to June 18, and patrons can drop off materials to the outside return boxes at all MRL branches. MRL has not yet announced when libraries will open back up.

In the meantime, the library is working to develop curbside pick-up, online summer reading programs for children and adults, and new building procedures. 

For safety reasons, all returned materials will be “quarantined” before being processed and reshelved.