On June 22, The Breeze received an email alleging that a review we published on “The Chef Show” was plagiarized. An investigation into the claims revealed the writer plagiarized at least half of the review from another news source.

The writer was subsequently released from our staff, and the story was immediately taken off our website.

The Breeze is pursuing disciplinary action through the Honor Council. Because of the confidentiality of that process, we have chosen not to name the writer.

After discovering this instance of plagiarism, Breeze leaders began an internal review of the writer’s work, which led us to find at least four other reviews that were plagiarized to varying degrees.

In an abundance of caution, we have since removed all of the writer’s work from our website. 

We apologize to our readers for what has occurred. The Breeze prides itself on its dedication to journalistic integrity, and plagiarism is not tolerated in our newsroom.

This publication stands for originality in all its work, whether it be articles, photos, videos, graphics or advertisements. If we’re ever in a position where we have to use another’s words instead of our own, we always give full credit. This writer’s actions do not represent our values as journalists and as a newsroom.

The Breeze is taking action to ensure this won’t happen again.

We’ve changed our editing practices to include spot checking for anything in relation to other published bodies of work. We’ll also have more editors reading through our stories prior to publication.

We thank you for reading and consistently choosing us as a reliable source for your JMU and Harrisonburg news.

For general inquiries, comments or concerns, contact Abby Church, editor-in-chief, at breezeeditor@gmail.com.