HPD

HPD urges any individual who witnessed the crash or has additional information to contact (540) 437-2640.

On Nov. 14 at approximately 12:23 a.m., a motorcycle struck Maylea Beasley, a JMU student, at the intersection of S. Main Street and South Avenue, according to a press release from the Harrisonburg Police Department.

Both she and Jeremy Braugher, the driver of the motorcycle, were pronounced dead at the scene. According to the release, eyewitnesses reported Braugher was moving at a high speed at the time of the crash.

The Office of the President sent an email to students at 1:27 p.m. today titled “Mourning the loss of a fellow Duke.” In the email, President Alger expressed his condolences for Beasley’s friends and family.

“Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Maylea Beasley,” Alger wrote. “Let us all lift them up in our thoughts and prayers. We will provide assistance and support in any way we can.”

Alger concluded the email by writing that JMU’s Counseling Center will be working with students who were impacted by the crash or witnessed it firsthand. He also encouraged JMU students to look after one another in the aftermath of the incident.

“Please be sure to take a moment to check in on your friends and classmates,” Alger wrote. “As a university, it is my hope that we can all come together to provide support and compassion to one another during these difficult moments.”