steve smallwood

Smallwood was arrested after he allegedly attacked people and damaged cars at a local McDonald's. 

Following an altercation at a local McDonald’s, a JMU student was arrested Saturday afternoon according to Pete DeLea of the Daily News-Record.

Senior Steve Smallwood was arrested and charged with eight felonies, including aggravated malicious wounding, malicious wounding, assault on an officer and property destruction. Smallwood also faces misdemeanor charges of assault, disorderly conduct, fleeing from police and resisting arrest.

Police officers were originally called to the area of the McDonald’s on Port Republic Road for an unrelated event, but were brought to the restaurant by a bystander. At the fast-food chain, Smallwood was allegedly attacking people and damaging cars in the parking lot.

Smallwood was taken to Sentara RMH Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, but it’s unknown at this time how he acquired the injuries. His court date is set for Monday.

Smallwood played linebacker for the JMU football team in 2015 as a freshman. For reasons unknown, Smallwood left the program following his freshman year but is still enrolled in the university.