jmu

Read said the university would use WebEx instead of Zoom for future virtual townhall meetings. 

During JMU’s faculty and staff Virtual Town Hall Thursday afternoon, which was organized by the university “to better understand and address racial injustice and inequities,” the Zoom call was interrupted about 30 minutes in with hateful, disturbing images and audio. 

Caitlyn Read, JMU’s director of communications and university spokesperson said the disturbing messages were “outright racist and highly sexual.” JMU Vice President for Student Affairs Tim Miller declined to comment on the incident. 

Read referred to the hacking as a Zoom bombing and another town hall was held for faculty and staff Friday at 3 p.m. This meeting was hosted on Webex with additional security measures for participants to join. 

Read wouldn’t share who set up the technology for the initial town hall meeting for faculty, but said “mistakes were made on setting up the virtual meeting.” She said the additional safeguards that were implemented for the rescheduled meeting will also be in place for the town hall meeting for students on June 11. 

“We recognize fully that it was very traumatic for the participants and the university extends our most sincere apology for putting our faculty and staff in a position where they are vulnerable to be exposed to that kind of material,” Read said.