Counseling Center

Students with needs aligning with alternative options such as online counseling or group sessions will be referred to those instead of one-on-one sessions. 

As of Monday, JMU’s Counseling Center stated that it’s no longer able to “defer” to students’ requests to meet one-on-one with a counselor. 

Instead, the center will direct students to alternative services such as group counseling, specialized treatment programs and online counseling resources, according to JMU News.

Despite this change, walk-in hours and crisis services will remain the same. 

Just over 48 hours after these new regulations were put in place, the center made a statement Wednesday clarifying that the center won’t “eliminate individual counseling sessions for students,” but rather, when counselors see that a student’s needs align with another treatment option, they’ll be assigned accordingly. 

In the statement, the center said that in the past, students have been able to negotiate for one-on-one sessions, but due to the high level of demand, the center will no longer be “able to negotiate in these situations.” 

“By doing so, we will be better able to ensure that individual counseling sessions remain available to those students whose issues and needs require that type of service,” the statement said.