charleston

Charleston Townes, like other off-campus housing complexes, is pet-friendly.

As JMU students complete their time living in on-campus housing, the search for a new home outside the bounds of campus can be an overwhelming one, especially considering the variety of options Harrisonburg has to offer. 

Here’s what students looking for their first or a new off-campus apartment or townhome can expect from neighborhoods and complexes around Harrisonburg.

Charleston Townes

This complex, located 1.7 miles from campus, offers residents three-story townhomes for prices ranging between $499 and $565. Units have four bedrooms and four bathrooms, according to Charleston’s website.

Charleston Townes also has two laundry rooms per unit. Additionally, it has a saltwater pool, fitness center and volleyball and basketball courts. Charleston Townes is also a pet-friendly community, so long as residents pay the monthly fee of $25 for a cat and $35 for a dog. 

Aspen Heights

Aspen Heights is located just under two miles from campus. This complex has floor plans that range from two to five bedrooms, priced at $679, $644, $619 and $614, respectively, according to Aspen’s website. Aspen Heights also has townhome options that are available in two and three bedroom models, priced at $679 and $644, respectively.

This complex is equipped with a 24-hour fitness center, full-court volleyball and a study lounge among other amenities. Additionally, Aspen Heights is pet friendly. Townhouse complexes also have a guest bathroom.

The Retreat

The Retreat is located 2.3 miles from campus and includes units that have between two and five bedrooms. There are a total of 12 house models in The Retreat, and each unit has at least one bathroom per bedroom.

Those living in The Retreat have access to a fitness center, disc golf course, 24-hour computer lab and pool area among other amenities, according to The Retreat’s website.

Camden Townes

This complex is located 0.9 miles from campus on Bradley Drive. Camden offers units with between two and five beds and between one and four bathrooms. Rent at Camden Townes ranges from between $350 and $575, according to Camden’s website.

Amenities at the Camden Townes include a basketball court, a dog park and a picnic and grill area.

The Mill

Located on South Avenue, The Mill lies 0.7 miles from campus and offers 1,265-square-foot units with four bedrooms and two bathrooms. Rent starts at $419 for bedrooms on the first floor, $429 for bedrooms on the second floor and $439 for third floor bedrooms.

Residents of The Mill can enjoy free parking for themselves and their guests, an on-site basketball court and two public bus stops nearby. Additionally, The Mill is pet friendly, and utilities are included in rent, according to The Mill’s website.

Copper Beech

Copper Beech sits 2.4 miles from campus and offers units that have between one and four bedrooms and have between one and four and a half bathrooms. Units can have between 650 and 2,000 square feet.

Amenities in this neighborhood include two large pools, a fitness center, a sand volleyball court and a computer lab among other amenities, according to Copper’s website.

The Harrison

The Harrison, located off Port Republic Road 1.2 miles from campus, offers both four bedroom and two bedroom units. Rent for a four bedroom unit is approximately $425 and roughly $670 for a two bedroom unit, according to The Harrison’s website.

Amenities at The Harrison include a 24-hour TV and video game lounge, a 24-hour fitness center and a “resort-style pool.” This complex is also pet friendly.

The Hills of Harrisonburg at Northview, Southview and Stonegate

The Hills of Harrisonburg at Northview, also located off Port Republic Road, offers residents four bedrooms and two bathrooms. The Hills of Harrisonburg at Southview has four beds and four bathrooms per unit, while the Hills of Harrisonburg at Stonegate has four bedrooms and four and a half bathrooms, according to The Hills of Harrisonburg’s website.

Northview is located closest to campus at one mile away. Southview sits 1.6 miles from campus, while Stonegate is 1.8 away.

Amenities for these complexes include basketball and volleyball courts, fitness centers and bus service to campus. Additionally, select buildings in these neighborhoods are pet friendly.

Foxhill Townhomes

Located 1.4 miles from campus, Foxhill offers residents 1,175-square-foot, two-story townhomes for approximately $495 rent. This complex includes pet-friendly units.

Additionally, it’s equipped with a fitness center, a clubhouse with a coffee bar, cable and internet. Two types of units are available with four bedrooms and two bathrooms each. Foxhill also includes a picnic area with grills and 24-hour emergency maintenance, according to its website.

Pheasant Run

Starting at $425, Pheasant Run offers those moving off campus spacious townhomes that lie 1.4 miles from campus. Units in this neighborhood have four bedrooms and two and a half bathrooms.

Amenities include basketball and volleyball courts, on-site maintenance and management, and high-speed internet. Individual units also include private patios and cable, according to Pheasant’s website.

North 38

North 38, located at 1190 Meridian Circle, is 3.7 miles from campus and offers both three and four bedroom floor plans. In both models, each bedroom has its own bathroom. According to North 38’s website, three bedroom models are 1,146 square feet, while four bedroom models are 1,433 square feet.

North 38 residents have access to private study rooms with free printing, an outdoor lounge with hammocks and grilling stations, a “resort-style” swimming pool and a community car wash among other amenities.

865 East

This housing complex, located at 865 Port Republic Road, finds itself one mile from campus. 865 East has a range of floor plans, offering one, two, three and four bedroom models — priced as low as $920, $575, $580 and $545, respectively, according to 865 East’s website. Each bedroom comes with its own bathroom.

865 East has restaurants located in its complex and a rooftop terrace with TVs and lounge furniture. The complex also has a 24-hour fitness center.

Campus view

Campus view is located 2.2 miles from campus. This complex has units consisting of four bedrooms and four bathrooms with two different kitchen models. According to the Campus view website, rent ranges from $494 to $499, depending on the kitchen layout.

This complex has basketball and volleyball courts, a hammock lounge and a gated pool. Additionally, a cable package is included in monthly rent.

Hunters Ridge

Hunters Ridge, located at 1340 Hunters Road, is set 0.8 miles from campus. This condominium complex offers units with between two and five bedrooms for between $395 and $575. Units at Hunters Ridge also have between two and three bathrooms.

This complex has pet-friendly units, and residents have access to bus stops nearby. Additional amenities include a basketball court, a dog park and a picnic area equipped with grills. 

Sunchase

Sunchase sits 2.2 miles away from campus and offers residents four bedrooms and four bathrooms per unit. Two floor models, “the Dolly” and “the Madison,” are available.

Sunchase is a pet-friendly community that offers residents a cardio and weight facility, a clubhouse with a study center and off-street parking among other amenities, according to Sunchase’s website.

Urban Exchange

Urban Exchange sits 1.5 miles from campus and offers units between one and three bedrooms. Rent ranges from $855 to $900. This complex is located at 238 E Water Street and has over 40 floor plans.

This complex offers residents access to an apex room for study groups or small meetings, an on-site gym and secured parking, according to Urban Exchange’s website.

Squire Hill

Squire Hill offers a range of models between one and four bedrooms and one and four and a half bathrooms. Rent ranges from $499 to $929. There are six different models for residents that are between 737 and 1,352 square feet in size, according to Squire’s website.

Those living in Squire, located 1.2 miles from campus at 1443 Devon Lane, have access to 24-hour study and game rooms, a community pool, fitness room and a pet play area.

The Pointe

The Pointe, located off Chestnut Ridge Road, sits 2.5 miles from campus. The complex offers townhomes consisting of two and three stories, all with four bedrooms. Each bedroom has its own bathroom, and a guest bathroom is included on the main level. Rent for this neighborhood is approximately $595.

Those living in The Pointe have access to included internet and cable, stainless steel appliances and walk-in closets, according to The Pointe’s website.

Forest Hills Manor

According to Forest Hills Manor’s website, the complex offers two different floor plans. Units have either two or three floors, and all units have four bedrooms and four bathrooms. Forest Hills is located one mile from campus. 

Forest Hills residents can enjoy basketball and volleyball courts and an extra half bath for guests among other amenities.

Contact Connor Murphy at breezenews@gmail.com