MMR vaccine

According to the health center, up to 10 percent of people who receive two doses of MMR, the vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella, still remain susceptible to the mumps virus.

According to the University Health Center, there’ve been several confirmed cases of the mumps, as well as pending cases not yet confirmed.

Mumps, a viral illness, is spread through face-to-face contact including sneezing, coughing or coming in contact with infected saliva. Symptoms can appear 12 to 25 days after it’s initially spread, which include a fever, body aches and tender, swollen salivary glands.

A previous case of the mumps was reported by the JMU basketball team Feb. 6, which initially caused the team to postpone games. All affected members of the team have since recovered.

Some ways to prevent the spread of the virus are by washing hands thoroughly, avoiding the sharing of utensils, sanitizing frequently contacted items and staying clear of anyone with symptoms of the mumps.

Students showing signs and symptoms of the mumps are being asked to contact the health center and isolate themselves until they receive test results. Faculty and staff showing symptoms are asked to contact their primary care physician.