JMU wide receiver pleads no contest to misdemeanor charge

Stapleton claims that he has no memory of the incident due to excessive alcohol consumption.

Riley Stapleton, a wide receiver for the JMU football team, pleaded no contest to a Class-2 misdemeanor charge of false imprisonment Tuesday at the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas.

Stapleton is accused of holding a woman against her will at a June 2017 house party in Indiana, Pennsylvania — his hometown. According to the Indiana Gazette, Stapleton kept the victim in the bathroom of the house and tried to touch her indecently two different times.

At one point during the incident, Stapleton, pushed the victim against the bathroom counter with “all his weight” and later pushed her into the shower, too, according to a criminal complaint filed by special agent Aprill-Noelle Campbell that was cited by the Indiana Gazette.

Following the incident, Stapleton, now 22, told police over the phone that he had no memory of the incident, citing that he “blacked out” from drinking alcohol, the newspaper reported. The no- contest plea means Stapleton accepted the conviction but didn’t admit guilt.

Stapleton will serve one year of probation and is required to attend anger management and drug-and-alcohol evaluations. The rising redshirt senior will also pay  $903.75 in fines and court costs, according to a sentencing report.

“We are aware of the legal proceedings and this week’s court findings involving one of our football student-athletes, Riley Stapleton,” JMU Athletics said in a statement. “We are extremely disappointed in Riley’s actions, and will issue punishment in line with the court’s findings. We will be meeting with the student-athlete to communicate his punishment and then will release that accordingly.”

Contact Catie Harper and Noah Ziegler at breezesports@gmail.com. For more coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, follow the news desk on Twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.