graduation

Graduates will receive their degrees May 8, making them graduates of the university at that time.

In an email sent by President Alger to JMU seniors, it was announced that commencement ceremonies will take place on campus Aug. 7-8, “if it’s safe to do so.” 

Alger also acknowledged the disappointment of students and faculty regarding the end to this academic year.

“I know this is not what you had in mind for the culmination of your time at JMU, and that the necessary postponement of commencement ceremonies disappointed many of you deeply, as it did me,” Alger said in the email.

According to the email, if public health conditions allow, students and their families, friends and loved ones are invited to attend the ceremonies in early August. Seniors will receive an RSVP notification from the university in the near future, to which they’re encouraged to respond as it will determine the format of graduation events.

If current health and safety conditions don’t allow, the ceremonies will be postponed again.

Contact the news desk at breezenews@gmail.com. For move coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, contact the news desk on Twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.