nowviskie.jpg

Nowviskie earned her Ph.D in literature from U.Va., where she also serves as a research associate professor. 

After a nationwide search, JMU has hired Bethany Nowviskie as the dean of libraries and educational technologies, the university announced Wednesday.

Nowviskie is a distinguished presidential fellow at the Council on Library and Information Resources and has served as the director of the Digital Library Federation for the past four years. Before her current job, Nowviskie was the founding director of the library-based Scholars’ Lab at U.Va., where she earned her Ph.D in literature and continues to serve as a research associate professor.

“It will be a great honor to lead the Libraries’ stellar faculty and staff at a moment when our services are evolving and becoming ever more integral to the mission of the university,” Nowviskie said in a statement released by JMU. “JMU’s emergence as a national leader in student and civic engagement requires a library and educational technology system that fosters deep and purposeful collaboration, equitable community partnerships, crucial new literacies, and a culture of learning that empowers and inspires.”

Nowviskie will oversee Rose Library, Carrier Library, the Music Library and the Educational Technology and Media Center. JMU’s four libraries combine to total more than one million visits per year.