graduation

Jennifer Morgan was recently named as one of the Most Powerful Women in Business by Forbes. 

JMU alumna (‘93) Jennifer Morgan was selected as commencement speaker for the 2018-2019 academic year. In addition to being an alumna, Morgan also serves on both the College of Business Board of Advisors and the Marketing Advisory Council.

Morgan was selected to be the commencement speaker following her deeper involvement in the College of Business. During her time serving the university, she cultivated a relationship with President Alger and other members of the staff. Morgan was later contacted by Alger with the opportunity to be the commencement speaker. Morgan jumped at the chance, as she believed it was important for her to give back to JMU.

“As you age, you start to reflect,” Morgan said. “I think for me, when you leave college, you’re so focused, you’re just doing. You’re getting that job, you’re working. I was fortunate enough to get married and have children. You’re so focused on getting through every day … and as the years go by, you start to reflect on the things that made you who you are, and JMU is a big part of those reflections.”

Morgan’s speech will center around the concept of overcoming the inevitable hardships individuals face when they begin to develop their careers. She also plans to discuss the importance of flexibility and the benefits of being open to follow “different forks in the road.”

“It always came back to what I learned from JMU, the experience that I had at JMU, the friends I met from JMU, and I wanted to be able to give back,” Morgan said.