Around 6:30 p.m. New Year’s Day, the 911 center received calls for a reported deck fire at the 1000 block of Woodbury Circle. After dispatchers directed a caller to activate the fire alarm, 17 firefighters arrived to the scene.
According to a news release, the first engine to arrive saw light smoke around a third-floor apartment deck with the sprinkler activated. The Harrisonburg Fire Department has since determined the fire to have been caused by improper disposal of smoking material.
According to the HFD, damage has been set at $7,500. With this being the second fire in the past 10 months to have been caused by improper disposal of smoking materials, HFD is emphasizing the importance of discarding them properly.
Contact the news desk at email@example.com. For more coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, follow the news desk on Twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.