copper beech break-ins

A group of people was seen trespassing on Copper Beech Circle that HPD believes could be related to a string of burglaries that occurred there over Thanksgiving break. 

The Harrisonburg Police Department is investigating a series of burglaries that happened at Copper Beech Townhomes over Thanksgiving break. After another incident occurred over winter break, HPD is seeking the public’s help in identifying persons of interest in the case.

During the evening of Dec. 24 and early morning of Dec. 25, a group of people was seen on the back decks of multiple townhouses on Copper Beech Circle. The group was checking doors and according to HPD, the suspects gained entry into at least one residence. HPD said it’s possible these individuals could be linked to the burglaries that occurred in the same row of townhouses during Thanksgiving break.

HPD urged students returning from break to carefully inspect their homes for signs of a break-in. Signs of unauthorized entry include: damaged locks, broken windows, partially open windows with screens removed, missing items or items left that don’t belong to you. Students are also encouraged to take careful inventory of their belongings upon arrival.

Students who suspect a break-in at their residence are asked to call HPD at 540-434-4436 to make a report. Anyone with information on the identity of the persons of interest is asked to call the Major Crimes Unit at 540-437-2640.