HPD_Wright

Wright(left) and Doeker worked together for six years. 

HPD officer Tim Wright will retire Jan. 1 after 25 years of service, according to a HPD press release sent out Monday afternoon. 

Wright started as a full-time officer in 1996 and was a general instructor, field training officer, field sobriety test instructor, vehicle pursuit intervention technique instructor, a member of the first cadre of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle pilot team and a K9 Master trainer among other memberships. 

According to the release, Wright received the Mothers Against Drunk Driving award, the VFW Officer of the year award, the HPD Meritorious Action Award, the HPD Meritorious Service Award and the Virginia Police Canine Association Case of the Year twice. 

Wright also spent 19 years as a Police K9 handler. His K9 partner Doerak, who’s been by Wright’s side for six years, will also be retiring with him. 

Doerak helped find a plethora of drugs including marijuana, methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin and ecstasy. He’s responsible for 192 arrests, seizing over $31,900 of drug money, over 300 drug detection deployments and 11 evidence searches according to the release. 

Wright said he plans to spend his retirement with his family including Doerak and their other family dog.