hpd (copy for devon lane staff report)

When HPD arrived, the suspect had already fled the scene by foot and was unable to be located by HPD's K-9 unit. 

Officers with the Harrisonburg Police Department and JMU Police Department responded to the 1400 block of Devon Lane after hearing gunshots in the area at approximately 1 a.m. Saturday.

At the scene, officers were approached by a male who had a gunshot injury to his lower leg. He was transported to Sentara RMH Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries by the Harrisonburg Rescue Squad.

After the incident, the suspect fled the scene on foot. The suspect was unable to be located by HPD K-9 in the search area, but police located evidence on the scene related to the incident.

According to a press release from the city of Harrisonburg, the incident is believed to be related to a disagreement that took place at a party just prior to the shooting.

HPD is seeking input from anyone with information regarding the identity of the suspect. According to the release, the suspect is described as a black male wearing a black shirt and white-washed jeans.

The release states that HPD believes there’s no risk to the public at this time.

HPD urges anyone with information about the incident to contact the Major Crimes Unit by calling (540) 437-2650. Those wishing to stay anonymous can contact Crime Solvers at (540) 574-5050 or by texting “HPD” and their tip to CRIMES (274637).