HPD walk

The walk will take place from HPD's District 7, Central Avenue to Laurel Street and Middlebrook Street.

The Harrisonburg Police Department, alongside other city departments, will participate in a community walk June 20 at 5:30 p.m. A press release from the city of Harrisonburg said the event will provide an opportunity for officers and community stakeholders to walk door to door and connect with residents through conversation.

The walk will take place from HPD’s District 7, Central Avenue to Laurel Street and Middlebrook Street. HPD encourages locals to walk and engage with officers by asking questions, sharing information and learning about accessible resources.

The community walk was established to bring together community members and law enforcement by building trust.

“The event fits with our Community Policing philosophy,” Harrisonburg Chief of Police Eric English said. “We’re taking community engagement and dialogue to our citizens, in their neighborhoods, with no set agenda; giving everyone a chance to discuss issues and learn more about each other.”