PORT&MAIN

The intersection's caused growing traffic backups, especially on the southbound side of South Main Street. 

The city of Harrisonburg is seeking public input on an upcoming project to improve safety and traffic flow at the intersection of Port Republic Road and South Main Street. The project hopes to better accommodate for consistent backup traffic in the southbound dual-left turn lanes on South Main Street at Port Republic Road.

The city plans to extend the dual left turn lanes approximately 200 feet to prevent left-turning traffic from backing up and clogging the through lanes. Additionally, a channelizing island will be added at the intersection of East Fairview Avenue and South Main Street to restrict traffic to only right turns in and out of the East Fairview neighborhood. The island will operate like the one on the opposite side of South Main Street at West Fairview Avenue.

To provide input on the project, citizens can complete a survey. The survey can be completed online, printed out and returned via mail or hard copies can be obtained at the Harrisonburg Public Works Department office on East Mosby Road. Additional information on the project is available on the city’s website.