Police car (copy for bitcoin staff report)

The emails were reported by several businesses and organizations in Harrisonburg Thursday, Dec. 13. 

At approximately 1 p.m. Thursday, several businesses and organizations in the city of Harrisonburg received bomb threat emails stating that explosives would detonate if money wasn’t paid in Bitcoin. The Harrisonburg Police Department is investigating the incident and claims that there isn’t any credible evidence related to these bomb threats.

According to HPD, the same emails have been received at several government offices, academic institutions and commercial retailers nationwide. Each threat demanded that $20,000 be sent in Bitcoin to the sender. The emails had several grammatical errors and have circulated local institutions such as the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Emergency Communications Center.

Those who receive bomb threat emails are advised to follow company procedures, such as looking around the business for suspicious packages. HPD urges that if anything of suspect is found, to contact the police immediately.

HPD encourages those who have received a bomb threat email similar to this to call the non-emergency number.