(copy for budget staff report)

The budget includes a pay increase for classified employees and a merit increase for classified employees with three-plus years of service. 

The General Assembly sent its biannual budget to the governor Sunday that adds $57.5 million in state funding for higher education. JMU anticipates its general fund to increase by $10.3 million for the next fiscal year, one of the largest increases in recent memory, according to a statement released by JMU President Jonathan Alger.

The budget includes significant pay raises for higher education employees, such as a 2.75 percent increase for classified employees and a 2.25 percent merit increase for classified employees with three-plus years of service. The budget also grants a 3 percent increase for instructional and administrative faculty. The proposed changes in salary will go into effect at the start of the fiscal year, which is July 1, pending the governor’s approval.

“We are very appreciative of the commitment to support our dedicated and hardworking workforce,” Alger said in a university-wide email addressing students, faculty and staff. “If this legislative budget session is any indication, the future of higher education in Virginia is bright. Many thanks go to our friends in the legislature and partners throughout the state.”

Additional money for financial aid and operating funds to maintain in-state tuition at 2018-19 levels is included in the budget, as well as funding for the renovation of Jackson Hall.