JMUDelaware7 (copy)

Kamiah Smalls and JMU women's basketball were scheduled to play Elon in their first game of the CAA Tournament before the CAA suspended all sports.

Update (3/12, 5:30 p.m.): According to the CAA, an official working the 2020 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament has tested positive for the coronavirus. The official didn’t have any symptoms until 72 hours after the game, but the conference has made the participants in the game aware of the situation. The NCAA has also canceled all championship tournaments for the remainder of the season. 

With sports canceled through the remainder of the year, JMU football won’t have any spring practices. The seniors’ pro day, which was scheduled for next week, has also been postponed.

Just hours before JMU women’s basketball was supposed to tip off its CAA Tournament run, the conference announced that all league sports are suspended until further notice. 

The CAA’s decision to suspend play comes after multiple conferences across the country have taken steps to limit the impact of the coronavirus. The announcement also comes less than 24 hours after CAA Commissioner Joe D’Antonio said he hoped the women’s basketball tournament would proceed as expected. 

“The decision was made after discussions with the conference’s administrative personnel,” the staff report states. “Our top priority remains the well-being and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, administrators and fans.” 

According to the staff report, the league will also make a decision on the state of spring sports and conference championships at a later date. 

Some JMU spring sports had already experienced cancellations prior to the CAA making its own decision. Lacrosse was slated to compete against Cornell, but the Ivy League canceled all spring sports earlier this week. Men’s tennis also had a match against Navy canceled after the latter school’s decision to suspend spring sports. 

The Breeze Sports will continue to post updates about how the CAA is addressing the coronavirus and its impact on JMU Athletics. 

Contact Catie Harper at breezesports@gmail.com. For more JMU and CAA coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.