Downtown (copy for parking staff report)

The survey will be open until September 6. Officials hope that locals will take advantage of this opportunity. 

As the city of Harrisonburg makes progress in its downtown parking study, it’s requesting resident input in an attempt to develop a greater understanding of the difficulties of downtown parking.

A survey focusing on the amount of time and effort spent finding a parking space was released August 7 through the city’s social media pages and website. The survey will be open through September 6.

“This survey is an important piece of the puzzle when it comes to understanding how our residents visit the downtown area and how they determine where to park,” Harrisonburg Public Works Director Tom Hartman said in a news release. “This, coupled with our other efforts through this study, should present a clear picture on where we are and what we need to focus on moving forward.”

According to a press release from the city of Harrisonburg, city officials are hopeful that the public will take advantage of the opportunity to express their thoughts on current and future parking availability downtown.

“It’s vital for us to make sure we are utilizing our parking in the downtown area to support not only our visitors, but our downtown businesses,” Harrisonburg Director of Economic Development Brian Shull said in the release. “We want our downtown to be as inviting as possible and easy to navigate to encourage return visitors to the Friendly City.”