EAP

Phase One will focus on laying the groundwork for future phases of the plan.

The first phase of Harrisonburg’s Environmental Action Plan will be heard by City Council during the Jan. 14 meeting at Council Chambers.

According to a press release from Harrisonburg Friendly by Nature, the plan will serve as a guide for city leaders, staff and members of the community to “implement sustainability visions and principles.” It was the result of a series of discussions between city staff and the Environmental Performance Standards Advisory Committee.

The plan will be developed in three phases, according to the release. Phase One will focus on laying the groundwork for future phases of the plan and developing strategies that’ll strengthen the city’s environmental sustainability.

The first phase is organized into six focus areas in which action can be taken: buildings and energy, land use and green space, regional food systems, sustainable transportation, waste reduction and recycling and water resources.

After City Council adopts phase one of the plan, municipal and community activities will be studied with the goal of developing baselines that’ll be used to measure progress toward future goals.