Owens

She criticized the list of “ultimatums” on Twitter, claiming those who compiled the list are “Marxists.”

The JMU NAACP released a list of 11 “non-debatable demands” on Instagram Wednesday that were assembled by multiple organizations under the Center for Multicultural Student Services. Soon after posting the list, it received backlash.

Among the demands was the “immediate” renaming of buildings on campus named after Confederate soldiers and slaveowners, making every space on campus a “safe space for black students and students of color” and making diversity education a requirement for all students.

“James Madison being a school that prides themselves on diversity and inclusion has been lacking in both of those areas and it is time to live up to the standards the university prides themselves on,” JMU NAACP said in the post.

The list of demands attracted attention from conservative political activist Candace Owens. She criticized the list of “ultimatums” on Twitter, claiming those who compiled the list are “Marxists.” Additionally, she said Americans need to “fight now, or lose America to violent communism.” 

Owens also commented on the list on Instagram, claiming that “If JMU staff acquiesces to a bunch of toddlers telling them how to run their University— they are pathetic.”