Build Our Park unveils new design concepts

Build Our Park has planned for the park to take up 1.2 acres behind City Hall.

Build Our Park, an organization with the goal of building a new park in downtown Harrisonburg, presented design plans at Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, according to WHSV. The park could be ready as soon as 2020, organizers say. 

BOP has raised $400,000 for the construction of a new park, $11,000 of which came from the recent Great Community Give. The park would be located behind City Hall. 

City Council and city staff members, including the Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance Design Committee, have been involved with the design of the park. BOP has proposed that the park be built on 1.2 acres of city-owned property. 

Proposals for the park include splash fountains, a playground, an additional pavilion, tables and seating. BOP has started phase one of the process of building the new park, which includes getting grant money to break ground this year. 

“The conceptual designs represent an inviting transformation of available space where our community can come together,” BOP’s website says. “With areas for relaxing and playing, flexible facilities for performances and events, as well as an expansion for the farmer’s market, the park design is thoughtful and creative.”