graduation_postponed_again

JMU will still hold commencement ceremonies for the class of 2020, but the dates are to be determined. 

On July 6, in an email sent out by President Alger to the class of 2020, it was announced that on-campus commencement ceremonies scheduled for Aug. 7-8 are postponed to an undetermined date. 

The email said this decision, which was made by JMU’s senior leadership team, comes after the university consulted with health officials regarding the current state of the pandemic. This decision also relates to compliance with Executive Order 67, which prohibits in-person public gatherings of more than 250 people. 

According to the email, JMU still plans on holding in-person commencement ceremonies in order to celebrate the “extraordinary and resilient” class of 2020. However, given the uncertainties caused by the pandemic, JMU won’t announce a new date for the ceremonies at this time. 

“We obviously understand that students and families need all the time they possibly can to change arrangements. That said, we're trying to plan in a very fluid environment,” Caitlyn Read,JMU’s director of communications and university spokesperson said. “We’re obviously deeply disappointed. We had really hoped to do it in August, but it’s just not possible.”