Hiking_SamTaylor.jpg

Shanna Kelly recommends going hiking on Easter and checking out some of Harrisonburg's most scenic spots. 

If you’re like me, and not going home this weekend for Easter because you’re a part of the 30 percent of JMU’s population that doesn’t live in Virginia or just because you don’t want to go home, you’re most likely trying to figure out what to do on this abandoned campus. Since I’ve been struggling as well, I created a list of 10 things to do to make this weekend a little more entertaining.

1. Find someone else - The first steps to find someone else who’s staying for the weekend. Chances are that someone in your dorm or who you know on campus is also staying. Make this person your buddy for the weekend. This could be a great chance to get to know them better or to just have some company.

2. Go hiking - The weather will be great, so why not get some fresh air? You won’t be missing anything on campus, so this is the perfect opportunity. Whether you’re alone or with a few other people, this can be a great relaxing time in preparation for finals coming up.

3. Go downtown - The year’s almost over, so a trip to Downtown Harrisonburg is overdue. Better yet, walk there. It’ll be nice and sunny out, so a stroll downtown will be a great leisure activity. Make a day out of it and browse the shops and choose a restaurant.

4. Tan - The weather has been great recently, but it’s definitely hard to actually tan when the entire quad is filled with people ready to judge you for even rolling up your shirt a little to tan better. So, take advantage of the emptiness of campus and actually lay out and tan the way you want to.

5. Make a fort in your lounge - If this isn’t on your bucket list for the year, then I don’t know what is. This is the time to go all out and build that complex fort in your dorm lounge since chances are no one will be there to get annoyed at you for doing so.

6. Make Easter baskets - Take a trip to Walmart with your buddy. Separate and fill your shopping carts with supplies for an awesome Easter basket full of candy and other goodies. Be careful not to show them what’s in your cart so that you can surprise them Easter morning. Even if you don’t celebrate Easter, how can you turn down a basket full of goodies?

7. Easter egg hunt - If you wanted to go home for Easter and were unfortunately just unable to, chances are you’re bummed about missing your annual Easter egg hunt. But who says you can’t still have one? You can find plastic eggs and candy at the dollar store or Walmart. Then, decide if you want to do it in your dorm building or in a confined area on campus such as the Festival field. Have one person hide the eggs and then you can all seek them.

8. Personal time - With finals coming up and busy schedules, it can be hard to find time for yourself. So take some time to relax. Paint your nails, do a face mask, whatever you would do if you didn't have any responsibility — because you don't. By the time everyone gets back on Sunday you'll be rejuvenated and ready to go.

9. Movie night - Now I'm not just talking any movie night, I’m talking throwback movies. Breakout the “Hannah Montana Movie,” the “Hilary Duff Movie” and all three “Cheetah Girls” movies. You know you want to and now you've got plenty of time. Might as well go hard core with the Ben and Jerry’s too since no one will be there to judge you.

10. Road trip - If you or your buddy for the weekend have a car, take a road trip. Roll down the windows and enjoy some fresh air as you drive around. It doesn't matter where you go, just drive and break out of the JMU bubble. Make sure you have a upbeat playlist to go along with the road trip. I mean, what's the point of a road trip if you aren't screaming at the top of your lungs to your favorite songs?

These ideas are sure to make your weekend one to remember. With only a few weeks left in the school year, it's important to make the most of your time left at JMU. Take the chance to get to know someone better, go on an adventure, or just do something different, but no matter what you do make sure you enjoy it.

Contact Shanna Kelly at kelly3sc@dukes.jmu.edu.

Shanna Kelly is a double major in SMAD (journalism) and Spanish with a double minor in translation and interpretation and honors interdisciplinary studies. In addition to The Breeze, Shanna is also an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta.