Andy Samberg stars as jake Peralta in "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"

Andy Samberg stars as Jake Peralta in "Brooklyn Nine-Nine."

In a time when both workplace comedies and police shows reign supreme, one series combines them with utter hilarity: “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.” 

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is consistently entertaining and offers a lighthearted alternative to grittier cop dramas like “True Detective” or “Chicago P.D.” It follows the personal and professional lives of Jake Peralta (played by Andy Samberg) and the rest of the Brooklyn-based squad. 

Peralta, an immature but talented detective, exemplifies Samberg’s signature goofy humor that carried his “Saturday Night Live” Digital Shorts, but the true success of the series lies with its supporting cast. From gay, deadpan Captain Holt (played by Andre Braugher),  to sensitive and yogurt-loving Sergeant Terry Jeffords (played by Terry Crews), “Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s” characters continuously break stereotypes. 

Rounding out the cast are pop-culture and social media-obsessed assistant, Gina (played by Chelsea Peretti); tough-as-nails Detective Rosa Diaz (played by Stephanie Beatriz); and the obsessively organized Detective Amy Santiago (played by Melissa Fumero). These cast members, create many dysfunctional, but overwhelmingly positive moments. 

Every episode features a new crime to be solved, but the officers’ many antics are far more memorable. With most new cases also come guest stars, who’ve ranged from Zooey Deschanel and Fred Armisen, to NFL Player Marshawn Lynch. Standout episodes include a quarantine for the mumps, four Halloween heists and repeated run-ins with Jake’s nemesis, the Pontiac Bandit. 

While police work is certainly part of the show, the dynamics between the squad create most of the remarkable moments of the series. For fans of the dearly missed comedies, “The Office” or “Parks and Recreation,” this is the show you’ve been looking for.

Carrie Domenic is a junior English major. Contact Carrie at domenick@dukes.jmu.edu

An expert in AP style, Carrie reads nearly every story to run in print or online as one of The Breeze's copy editors.