Sausage swaddled in bacon

Sausage swaddled in bacon

With only two minutes left to go, you head across the middle and pass … the snacks! That’s right everyone, it’s that time of year again where we eat, gather and watch the most entertaining commercials of the year (and some football). Super Bowl Sunday is the perfect excuse to indulge in those comfort foods that make you want to do a touchdown dance of your own. However, nobody likes to be blindsided at checkout so here are some cheap, easy recipes that won’t tackle your budget.

Crock Pot Queso: 

Ingredients:

- 2 packages of Velveeta cheese

- 1 can of tomatoes with green peppers

- 2 tbsp. of taco seasoning

-1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese

-1 bag of tortilla chips

Directions:

First, put Velveeta cheese in the crock pot. Then, add in the can of tomatoes, peppers and taco seasoning. Next, set the crock pot on low and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Then, top with shredded cheddar cheese and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Finally, serve the cheesy, melted dip with tortilla chips and chow down.

Sausage swaddled in Bacon:

Ingredients:

- Mini smoked sausage links

- bacon

- brown sugar

- toothpicks

Directions:

First, open the packaged sausage links and bacon. Then, take out the uncooked bacon strips and cut them into thirds. Next, wrap the bacon around the mini sausage links, repeat until packages are empty. Then, stick a toothpick into each sausage. Next, place the bacon-wrapped sausage in a baking dish and cover each one with brown sugar. Finally, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and end your mouthwatering agony and eat one … or five.

Momentous Meatballs

Ingredients:

-1 package of ground beef

-1/4 cup of finely chopped onion

-1 teaspoonWorcestershire sauce

-1 egg

-Italian season breadcrumbs

- Marinara sauce

Directions:

First, put the thawed ground beef in a mixing bowl. Then, add in the egg, 1/4 cup of chopped onion, breadcrumbs and one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Next, stir all ingredients and then shape the mix into meatballs by hand. Then, place it on the baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Finally, put cooked meatballs in the crockpot along with the Marinara sauce and let it simmer for another 20 minutes before devouring them.

Peanut Butter Brownies:

Ingredients:

-1 box of dark chocolate brownie mix

-1  cup of peanut butter chips

- 1/4  water

- 2/3 cup of oil

-2 eggs

Directions:

First, pour brownie mix into a bowl. Add in the 1/4 cup of water, two eggs, 2/3 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of peanut butter chips. Next, stir the contents in the bowl. Then, pour the brownie mix into a greased pan. Finally, top it with the remaining 1/2 cup of peanut butter chips and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and enjoy.

These recipes aren't only scrumptious and inexpensive, but also shareable. While screaming at the TV or starting plate number three, these appetizers will keep the crowd raving. They are quick and easy to make and can feed an entire party. So, down, set, hike to the closest grocery store.

Kate Formeller is a junior social work major. Contact Kate at forme2ka@dukes.jmu.edu.