Pitbull

Rapper Pitbull arrives at The Regal South Beach 18 for the premiere of the film Men in Black 3 on Thursday, May 17, 2012, in Miami Beach, Florida. Pitbull wrote and sings Back in Time, the first single from the film's soundtrack. (Pedro Portal/El Nuevo Herald/MCT)

It’s hard to believe that my four years of college have already gone by, but it’s even harder for me to believe that it was only four years ago that “Harlem Shake” went viral and I was shaking it in a banana costume in my high school parking lot. It’s funny how we can hate songs so vehemently when they’re popular and endlessly played on the radio, yet get a little misty-eyed when we hear them again years later. So that’s what I’m here to do: Get you to reminisce over what were hopefully the best four years, by recalling the songs you absolutely couldn’t escape during your college career.

“Timber” by Pitbull ft. Ke$ha

As I recall, it was virtually impossible to walk into a party without hearing someone shout-sing “It’s going down, I’m yelling timber.” Luckily, this song pretty much died after my sophomore year, which is good because I know approximately zero people who enjoy Pitbull in a non-guilty pleasure way.

“Fancy” by Iggy Azalea

During my sophomore year, I lived in an apartment above a group of senior guys who would play “Fancy” at any — and I mean any — hour of the day or night. The number of times I woke up at 3 a.m. on a Wednesday to my bed shaking to the familiar bass of Iggy’s hit song is unreal. Way to live it up during your last year, dudes.

“Royals” by Lorde

Maybe I wasn’t woken up in the middle of the night by this song, or heard it endlessly at parties, but “Royals” had a near-constant presence throughout my freshman year. The main offender of overplaying this song was Market One. Now no longer in existence (R.I.P.), Market was famous for playing music exclusively from Top 40 stations. So every time I wanted Sbarro (read: every day), my ears were subjected to the crooning sounds of a girl younger than me mourning the luxuries of the rich and famous.

“Wake Me Up” by Avicii

Before The Chainsmokers blew all the pop-EDM competition out of the water, Avicii was the man to whom everyone turned to provide the next poppin’ party hit. “Levels” and “Hey Brother” were massive hits as well, but “Wake Me Up” was absolutely inescapable. Whenever I visited my friends in their Village dorms, this song was sure to be blasting from someone’s suite.

“Trap Queen” by Fetty Wap

I distinctly remember this song being intensely popular around the time of ESPN’s College GameDay, thanks to hearing it blast across the Quad at 6 a.m. after I’d had a solid three hours of snoozing. Pair that with all of the “hey what’s up hello” Instagram posts that popped up around that time, and the song had a lasting impression on me. 

“We Can’t Stop” by Miley Cyrus

I remember sitting on my freshman dorm-room bed when Miley Cyrus’ album “Bangerz” dropped. My roommate and I were eager to add new Miley songs to our “going out” playlist since we’d long since worn out “We Can’t Stop” and “Wrecking Ball,” but the rest of the album pretty much lacked other heavy beat-drop hits, and we chalked it up to another time Miley failed us that year. For reference, this was also the year that she performed with the infamous foam finger at the MTV Video Music Awards with Robin Thicke. 

There are a ton more songs that make me reminisce about the last four years, but they’re largely specific to me and my friend group. So if you feel like reliving the past during your upcoming campus crawl, maybe put together a playlist of all the songs that’ll make you sob.

Contact Emmy Freedman at freedmee@dukes.jmu.edu.