"Love"

Paul Rust and Gillian Jacobs in "Love." (Netflix)

Picture this: A hot, 28-year-old girl with black makeup down to her her cheeks and still wearing the sexy outfit from the night before, screaming at the cashier for not giving her free coffee, which she so desperately needs to fuel her caffeine addiction. Seems crazy right? Someone needs to drag her out of the gas station, causing this much of a scene is unnecessary.

The cashier may have thought this, but the geeky young man in the back thought the complete opposite. Gus Cruikshank silently listens to the argument from afar until he finally works up the courage to buy the stubborn girl her desperately needed morning coffee. This was the start of it all — love is an unpredictable thing.

Who would’ve thought a drug-addicted hippie would fall for the hardworking nerd? You know what they say: opposites attract and lead to a crazy little thing called “Love.”

This Netflix original series is created by Judd Apatow, Paul Rust and Lesley Arfin. It stars Gillian Jacobs (Mickey Dobbs), who previously played Britta Perry in “Community,” and Rust (Gus Cruikshank), was also in “Inglorious Basterds.” There are 10 episodes in the first season, which was released to Netflix on Feb. 19, and each of them are interesting, to say the least.

The lack of skilled actors on the show, and its dull plot, are disguised by constant illicit drugs and alcohol abuse. If you’re into raunchy television, this is definitely the show for you. Personally, I thought it was a little overpowering and took away from the plot.

Episode 1 begins with the tragic reveal of Gus’ former girlfriend cheating on him, breaking his innocent heart. What better way to overcome this shame than indulging in illegal activities? Ironically, Mickey is also experiencing relationship trouble with her inconsistent boyfriend who’s addicted to cocaine.

The tone of this series is nonchalant and a little too relaxed. There’s not much action other than simple conflicts that are easily resolved. I can understand why some would be interested in this type of show, but, for me, the lack of cliffhangers and the simple plot don’t have me dying for Season 2.

Mickey and Gus are destined for love and happen to meet at the gas station the next morning. They’re both falling apart, heartbroken and angry at the world, both single, but neither is interested in a relationship.

It doesn’t take long for the two to realize that their completely opposite personalities might just be the one thing bringing them together. Love is in the air, no matter how hard they try to avoid it. 

The acting in this show isn’t the best and at times it feels extremely forced. The irony behind this is the setting of the show is placed in a set for a movie that Gus is working on. The actors for “Love” are being filmed as they act for another show, giving the series more depth and multiple perspectives. The viewer of the show isn’t only watching the Netflix series, they’re watching another show being filmed inside of the “Love” set.

The season follows Mickey’s drug addiction and Gus’s troubles at work, only bringing them closer.  

Overall, “Love” is a captivating show that embodies many aspects of young adulthood and paints it in a fun but not promising light. The poor acting, constant sexual innuendos and predictable plot would limit me to only watching when ultimate procrastination hits. It’s definitely not something to binge watch or lose sleep over.

Natalie Lavery is a freshman media arts and design major. Contact Natalie at laveryna@dukes.jmu.edu.