Bubble tea

Kim Vu makes bubble teas at Boba Tea House in Haltom City, Texas, in September 2003. 

No matter how early you wake up for class, you never seem to have time to sit down and enjoy a good breakfast even if it's the most important meal of the day. Instead of making coffee and grabbing a morning cereal bar, try a quick and easy to make option bubble tea and cinnamon swirl bread.

Originating in Taiwan in the 1980s, bubble tea, also known as boba tea or milk tea, started as a sweet treat for young students all across Southeast Asia. It consists of three common ingredients: milk, tea and sugar. Most people know boba tea as the milk tea with tapioca balls at the bottom, but it can be made with or without them.

Boba tea is a rising trend among teens in America. It can be found across the country in malls, tea shops and sometimes frozen yogurt shops. JMU Dining Services prepared its very own boba tea last semester in Top Dog’s Mongolian restaurant for 2015’s International Week. JMU’s Chinese Student Association also sold bubble tea to students in the Commons and Showker Hall in the fall.

Bubble tea is the perfect sweet treat for any tea drinker. It’s light on the stomach and low in calories, unlike any fancy coffee you can buy at Starbucks. Plus, you already have all the necessary ingredients in your house, minus the tea maybe, making it a quick and easy treat.

How To Make Bubble Tea:

First, you want to heat up water for the tea bag to steep in. Any tea flavor can be used, but green, black, jasmine and honeydew are the most popular. The tea should steep in a concentrated amount of water, about a half-cup.

Next, you want to pour milk in your glass so that it is half full while adding some ice to make the drink cold. Once the tea has finished steeping, pour it into the milk. Finally, add enough sugar to taste. I recommend up to a half-cup.

What makes bubble tea different from other drinks is that, once everything is put together, it should be shaken rather than mixed with a spoon. The taste should be consistent with a slight sweet tea flavoring and milk. Prepared tapioca balls can then be added as an extra bit of fun to the drink.

Because bubble tea uses only three common ingredients found in the average household, it requires little effort and can easily be manipulated to fit your taste. It also serves as a healthy alternative to coffee and pop, thus making bubble tea the perfect treat to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth morning or night.

Maddelynne Parker is a freshman media arts and design major. Contact Maddelynne at parkermn@dukes.jmu.edu.

Maddelynne Parker is a senior writer in her third year working for The Breeze. She loves to write album reviews, artist features and really anything that involves music. Her goal in life is to be published by NME and Spin magazine.