Fuller House

Image depicts John Stamos, Andrea Barber, Candace Cameron Bure, Dave Coulier, Lori Loughlin, Bob Saget and Jodie Sweeton in "Fuller House." 

Family portraits flash across the screen right before the familiar scene of the Golden Gate Bridge fills my laptop. “Everywhere You Look” starts to play, and I can already feel my heart brimming with joy as America’s favorite family invites me back into their home.

“Fuller House” centers on DJ Tanner-Fuller (played by original actress Candace Cameron-Bure), the grown-up DJ from “Full House,” a recently widowed veterinarian struggling to raise three sons on her own. Her sister and best friend move in with her to help her through this hard time, making the entire show sweetly reminiscent of the original “Full House.”

Speaking of the original, this iteration is essentially a genderbent version of “Full House.” DJ fills the role of Danny Tanner, the overworked and responsible parent of three trying to make everything all right after the death of her partner. Stephanie Tanner (played by original actress Jodie Sweetin) is the new Uncle Jesse, the sexy musician who sacrifices her wild and free life in order to help the family. Kimmy Gibbler (played by original actress Andrea Barber) has become Joey Gladstone, the goofy friend who means well and can always brighten the other characters’ moods.

By having the same set up with women instead of men, the show manages to be nostalgic without feeling stale.

The show also manages to successfully straddle the line between old and new by having the original theme song, now sung by Carly Rae Jepsen. Having a pop artist sing the classic “Everywhere You Look” emphasizes the fact that this show is a staple of America, but that it too has adapted to the times.

With these new times comes a whole batch of new kids. DJ’s three boys and Kimmy’s daughter are the perfect new additions to the family. Each of the child actors bring a youthful spunk and sparkle to the house.

The real strength of the show is the three main actresses. I love that the show was able to get the three actresses back as regulars. You can tell that they’re close both on and off camera, and their friendship comes across as authentic and relatable. You’re having fun with them and remembering the references from “Full House” while also going on this new journey with characters that you grew up with.

I wasn’t sure how I felt when I first heard that all of the sitcom’s original cast would reunite for the new series — minus the oh-so-busy Olsen twins. I thought that the writers would get lazy and rely too heavily on recycled references by the iconic characters. But with the exception of the pilot episode, the show never had the entire old cast together, mainly sprinkling one or two of them throughout each episode. This again was a smart way to balance the nostalgia with freshness. The leading ladies and the new kids have the spotlight while the rest of the “Full House” cast pops in just enough to evoke those old emotions.

The one qualm I have with “Fuller House” is that it can occasionally make mistakes. I admire that the show doesn’t take itself too seriously, but a few minor things came across as sloppy. An example of this is Joey’s outfit in episode three. He comes in wearing one of his signature hockey jerseys, but in many of the subsequent scenes, is instead wearing a short-sleeved blue button-up, even though the entire episode takes place in one night.

Another slip-up was in episode two, when Uncle Jesse makes a pit stop at the house on his way to Los Angeles. He talks about Becky waiting in the car, but when he returns to the car she’s not there and he calls her to say that he’s on his way home, making it clear that she was never in the car in the first place. Both of these are minor things, but could’ve easily been fixed with sharper editing.

All that being said, “Fuller House” is a great extension of the original “Full House.” It has the same light-hearted feel as the original without feeling like a glorified rerun. This show proves that no matter how rough life can be, you can always go home.

Mike Dolzer is a sophomore writing, rhetoric and technical communication and media arts and design double major. Contact Mike at breezearts@gmail.com.