You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Beauty Rox

A seasonal guide to nail polishes

• Comments
Nail polish

Nail polishes are only in in certain seasons. 

Here we are, almost through the winter. With spring right around the corner I can’t help but think about the warmer weather, wearing shorts and putting aside the Ugg boots I have had since I was in middle school and bringing out my sandals. I’m not going to lie, I just looked down at my feet and realized not only does my manicure look like it was done by a kindergarten student, my pedicure is in need of some help.

Covering basically every angle of our bodies during the winter to stay warm leaves most of us with no desire to spend money on pedicures when our toes will likely be covered with one, if not two pairs of socks per foot.

So now, as I start to realize I need to get my nail situation together, I thought I’d let you all know how picky I am when it comes to nail color and what season we are in. There are so many options for colors, so I’m going to make it easier for you all and narrow down the list to four different colors you can give a try. I always hear my roommates roaming the halls asking each other for a “new” color to use, so if you’re anything like them this will hopefully be somewhat useful. Summer is the easiest season when it comes to color, as every color and shade can work. Winter on the other hand is the hardest, but definitely my favorite. Here’s why.

Winter

Since we are currently living through it, I thought it would make sense to start us off with some winter nail polish colors. It’s cold outside; nothing is as “poppin’” outdoors as it would be with warm weather. So naturally, darker colors of nail polish are the move. Black nail polish is always my go-to. I remember in elementary school, I walked outside during recess and everyone asked why I colored my nails with Sharpie — look at me now, Beauty Rox, doing big things. Anyway, I suggest dark colors such as black for the winter because we all usually dress in darker shades of clothing during this season – the grays, blacks, navys … you get the jist of it. Black nail polish gives everything an edgy look and I’m definitely a fan of it. If you’re not a fan of the color black on your nails, definitely try this burgundy shade – I always get compliments on the color when I wear it so I’m sure you will too.

Spring

Finally — the weather is warmer and everyone is hanging out on the Quad again. Spring season is what I like to call “people watching” season. Everyone is slowly getting out of their winter slump and goes on the move. Regretfully for us girls, this also means our Rainbow sandals are going to be replacing our boots, and our nail polish color, while still completely irrelevant if you think about it, becomes slightly more relevant in our lives.

While spring and summer are similar in terms of what colors I like to wear, I stick to light greens and blues. Every single nail polish color has a dumb name, so try not to judge my favorite color, Mint Candy Apple, until you give it a try.

Summer

Sitting on the beach, toes in the sand — ah, the life. This is where I whip out my white nail polish. I’m going to make an extremely basic statement, but it’s true: White nail polish just makes me look tanner. So naturally as a 20-year-old college girl, I’m very into the whole “do everything you can to look tanner than you are so people think you spent a lot of time doing fun things on the beach” thing, when in reality I probably did nothing exciting. Summer is the only season I wear white nail polish in just because it’s a well known fact that you can’t wear white after Labor Day – well that’s not the only reason, but it certainly does play a role in my decision-making as I am an avid follower of social norms.

Fall

Slowly getting back to the colder weather means darker-colored nail polish is coming back. Since the weather's still nice, we don’t want to jump into the blacks and dark burgundys quite yet. Essie’s recessionista color is the shade to start easing into the cold. With this color you can probably get an artsy picture in front of Wilson doing some sort of pose in the leaves to show off your nails.

While these colors are what I usually turn to, let’s be real — you’re all beautiful and will look great in any color you choose. Since we are on the topic of nail polish I’m going to throw it out there that I in no way am capable of painting nails, so these colors don’t look as good on me as they do on the hand models. Don’t hesitate to ask a friend (not me) to paint your nails for you so you can look fresher than Kanye did in his campaign picture for 2020.

Roxana Jahanbani is a sophomore health sciences major. Contact Roxana at jahanbrx@dukes.jmu.edu.