Initially, I was rather worried for Stephen Colbert. Sure, he was getting a major promotion when he was called up to end his award-winning “Colbert Report” and replace David Letterman as host of late-night juggernaut “The Late Show.” In all sense of the word, Colbert was getting a huge boost. Yet, I couldn’t quite shake off the feeling of sadness, especially as the credits rolled on the final episode of the Report. The kind of brilliant satire and cultural insight Colbert was able to impart through his show was something that could never really be replaced, even though I have enjoyed the work done on “The Nightly Show.”

Then I got around to watching the first couple episodes of Colbert’s new show. Then I watched the next one. Then I started watching every one after that, because my fears have been assuaged. What Colbert has managed to do is seamlessly blend the satirical message of the “Colbert Report” within the confines of a late night TV show format. Sure, many late night shows rely on satire and jokes to fill air time, and Colbert isn’t exactly in the same manner as his ultra-conservative character on the Report, but the show almost feels like a continuation of many of the Report’s features. The way news stories are talked about, the jokes and the segments feel almost wholesale transported from the original show to the new Late Show.

He even still has a hand come up to high five him when he lands a particularly tasty pun. Count me a repeat viewer if this is the kind of content he delivers.

Kevan Hulligan is a senior political science major. Contact Kevan at hulligkx@dukes.jmu.edu.