The Brickhouse Tavern

The Brickhouse Tavern is popular among college students in its two current locations: Williamsburg and Newport News, Virginia. The Harrisonburg location is slated to open in mid-April.

The former home of Buffalo Wild Wings, across from the Quad on South Main Street, finally has a new tenant. Brickhouse Tavern will open its doors in mid-April after major reconstruction to the existing building.

After a six-month process of elimination, Brickhouse Tavern owner Daroon Bargash decided on the Harrisonburg location and purchased the vacant building in January.

“We did look in two different places; we looked at JMU and we looked at U.Va.,” Bargash said.

Brickhouse is known for its pizza and wings, specials and low prices. For 10 years, Brickhouse Tavern has been No. 1 in the Hampton Roads, Virginia, area for pizza. Like its pizza its wings are also noteworthy, ranking third in Virginia, and 23rd in the world according to Bargash. 

“Nobody by far can touch us,” Bargash said.

The low prices of Brickhouse Tavern, like its $9.99 large pizza special, maintain a steady flow of college students at its locations near the College of William & Mary and Christopher Newport University.

“I tell kids it’s cheaper for you to come drink here than you sitting down in the comfort of your own house and drink, and that’s reality,” Bargash said.

Specials from its other locations, which it plans to incorporate at the JMU location, include all-you-can-eat wings, half-off burger night and, on Sundays, its popular Sunday brunch special and a Bloody Mary bar.

At the CNU location, CNU student and senior information systems and business double major Shaquille Brooks can attest to Brickhouse Tavern’s reputation. 

“What makes it even better is the staff is amazing, they’re so personable and very friendly,” Brooks said in an email. “I go at least twice a week.”

Brooks enjoys Sunday night football with the 20 wings for $10 deal.

“Again, I really like the staff,” Brooks said. “They all know me by name and I know them by name.”

According to Bargash, many 21st birthdays are celebrated at the CNU Brickhouse Tavern. Brooks spent his 21st birthday at the Brickhouse.

“It’s the tradition we have at CNU, everyone celebrates their 21st there,” Brooks said. “I can’t think of anyone who hasn’t celebrated their birthday there, unless it was during the summer and they were back at home.”

After renovating the inside of the old Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant completely, Bargash said construction for the new restaurant began at the beginning of February. The entire restaurant will be renovated including the basement. 

“It was a complete facelift,” store manager Brian “Falty” Faltynowicz said.

Brickhouse will also come complete with 16 flat-screen TVs, a dance floor and at least 30 draft lines at the bar. The bar will be equipped with over 2,000 different brands of beer, wine and liquor, with the classics and even local beers.

“I’m a local guy; I love advertising locals’ beers just to see what the areas require, what they want,” Bargash said. “We’re getting every last one of them from Devils Backbone to Blue Ridge Breweries.”

Brickhouse Tavern plans to get acclimated to the JMU community by placing a giant Duke Dog statue at the front of its restaurant and sponsoring student organization activities such as Greek life philanthropy events. It also plans to use social media polls to plan weekend events like karaoke and open-mic nights for local bands, and to apply to be a FLEX merchant so JMU students can use their JACards for food purchases.

Bargash looks forward to bringing new traditions to Harrisonburg.

“It’s a home away from home for everybody,” Bargash said.

Contact Caroline Brandt at brandtcw@dukes.jmu.edu