Tina Fey and Amy Poehler provide laughs with their femoirs

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler provide laughs with their femoirs.

There are currently more successful female comedians than ever before. With this boom of comediennes and the many books they’ve written, came the rise of an entirely new genre of autobiographies. These memoirs, which often have strong feminist messages, have now been dubbed by many as the “Femoir.”

Here’s my ranking of some of the most popular Femoirs:

6. “Not That Kind of Girl” by Lena Dunham

I read “Not That Kind of Girl” based on a friend’s recommendation, although I had previously resisted due to my relative aversion to Dunham’s HBO show, “Girls.” I was somewhat pleasantly surprised in some of Dunham’s more humorous moments, such as her self-effacing chapter title, “A Young Woman Tells You What She’s ‘Learned.’”However, for the most part, Dunham’s humor just isn’t for me, but her fans probably wouldn’t be let down.

5. “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” by Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling is no newcomer to writing comedy — she was a writer and executive producer of “The Office” and “The Mindy Project” — and her debut book shows that. Filled with anecdotes from her childhood and experiences within the entertainment industry and Los Angeles, Kaling manages to keep her tone light and comical. While “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?” has plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, it also has some intermittent, seemingly unrelated lists and thoughts that seem slightly disorganized.

4. “The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo” by Amy Schumer

Amy Schumer is at her best and most relatable in “The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo.” She’s unabashedly honest in talking about her relationships, career and body image, while still holding onto her edgy, slightly raunchy sense of humor. “The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo” is a collection of short essays that also includes several lists of likes and dislikes, including her hatred of “people named Jim. Because it sounds like the word ‘gym.”’

3. “I Know I Am, But What Are You” by Samantha Bee

I decided to pick up Samantha Bee’s memoir after the premiere of her late-night show, “Full Frontal” — which if you haven’t watched, I highly recommend — and couldn’t put it down. Bee, a former longtime correspondent on “The Daily Show,” allows herself to be on the receiving end of her typical biting humor. Bee tells unflattering stories of teenage car heists, as well as her short stint as an actress in a live “Sailor Moon” children’s show.

2. “Yes Please” by Amy Poehler

After reading Amy Poehler’s candid book of essays, letters and poetry, it’s easy to see where the inspiration for her “Parks and Recreation” counterpart, Leslie Knope, comes from. The same enthusiasm that makes Leslie Knope such an incredible character shines through Poehler’s witty narrative. “Yes Please” is separated into three parts: “Say Whatever You Want, Do Whatever You Like and Be Whoever You Are,” and Poehler truly embodies all these elements.

1. “Bossypants” by Tina Fey

There was absolutely no way that Bossypants wasn’t going to be No. 1 on this list. I will, however, admit my bias. I’ve loved Fey ever since I watched her first impression of Sarah “I can see Russia from my house” Palin, during the 2008 Presidential Election. That aside, Bossypants is filled with hilarious introspections from Fey’s childhood in the suburbs of Chicago and through her time as a woman on the then still male-dominated Saturday Night Live and the creation of her show “30 Rock.” While recounting these humorous memories, Fey imparts some of her most lasting advice, which is “do your thing and don’t care if they like it.”

Carrie Domenic is a junior English major. Contact Carrie at domenick@dukes.jmu.edu.

An expert in AP style, Carrie reads nearly every story to run in print or online as one of The Breeze's copy editors.