Working out at home

Being in quarantine may mean working out through a TV, computer or even phone screen. 

With COVID-19 sweeping the nation, many people are focusing on social distancing and staying away from areas that would usually hold large crowds, including gyms. Workout videos are suitable substitutions for those who enjoy following a pre-made routine or feel they need to be held accountable for completing their workout. The best part is that many of them can be done in the comfort of one’s own home. 

JMU University Recreation Center 

Since UREC’s closure, JMU fitness instructors began posting their group exercises classes to the official UREC YouTube page. Currently, their first two online classes include Yoga Fit with Laura and Express Sculpt with Ashleigh.

Pamela Reif 

Pamela Reif is a 23-year-old German social media influencer who’s well known for prioritizing her fitness routine. Reif’s home workout videos are short — the longest one is no more than 20 minutes — and feature workouts for one’s full body, arms, legs and abs. Though her videos are brief, they remain consistent in intensity with long circuits and minimal breaks. Reif’s videos are perfect for viewers looking for a fulfilling workout in a short period of time.

Videos worth checking out:

MadFit

Maddie Lymburner is a home fitness YouTuber. She has workouts for beginners, partner workouts, low-impact routines and apartment-friendly videos to follow. She also posts “song workouts,” which are short bursts of exercises through the length of popular songs. Lymburner’s channel has a diverse set of workouts that make it challenging to come up with an excuse for not exercising. 

Videos worth checking out:

Heather Robertson

Heather Robertson is a certified personal trainer and fitness magazine cover model. Her YouTube channel consists of cardio, toning and Tabata workouts that are all adaptable depending on where one lives. Currently, Robertson is featuring a 12-week fitness program with 30-minute workouts Monday through Friday. She also has sample meal plans and tips on her website. With her variety of content and routine schedule, viewers don’t have to worry about what workout to do because it’s already pre-planned for them. 

Videos worth checking out:

POPSUGAR Fitness 

POPSUGAR Fitness offers options that aren’t standard gym training workouts. Its clusters of workouts include pilates, yoga, kickboxing and dance, all of which can be done at home. POPSUGAR Fitness is fitting for anyone looking to raise their heart rate and boost their adrenaline.

Videos worth checking out:

FitnessBlender

Husband and wife team Daniel and Kelly offer over 350 home workouts on their channel, FitnessBlender. Their workout videos are more specific, narrowing in on select muscle groups like thighs and shoulders while providing techniques to train them from home. FitnessBlender is ideal for those looking for advanced workouts that focus on particular muscle groups. 

Videos worth checking out:

COVID-19’s impact has left people unable to participate in their regular daily routines, limiting people’s access to gyms to get their workouts in. For those looking for a way to work out at home, these YouTubers offer exercises for various different needs. 

Contact Joanna Sommer at sommerjj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.