ENTER-MUS-JONASBROTHERS-SIP

"Happiness Begins" already reached the No. 1 spot on the iTunes chart the morning it was released.

After taking a six-year break, the Jonas Brothers finally released its new album, “Happiness Begins,” on Friday. This is the brothers’ first album in six years, and fans couldn’t be more excited.

The day before “Happiness Begins” was available globally, Nick, Kevin and Joe Jonas decided to celebrate with a carnival in Brooklyn, New York. It was sponsored by Spotify and ended with a full concert that featured a couple of old Jonas Brothers classics and some of its new music as well. While most artists have exclusive listening parties for a new album, the Jonas Brothers wanted more of a celebration for its first record since “Lines, Vines and Trying Times,” which came out 10 years ago.

The first two songs on the album were released earlier this year. The opening track, “Sucker,” was first released as a single. The brothers shared the song a few days after reviving their social media accounts. Fans were thrilled, and it’s been played continuously on the radio since. The song has a pop-rock sound – a theme the Jonas Brothers is known for. It includes solos from both Nick and Joe but also has the signature harmonies that fans missed. The second single, “Cool,” came out April 4. This is more of an upbeat summer song than “Sucker,” but both were great choices for comeback releases after the group’s six-year hiatus.

A few of the songs have more of an upbeat party feel that Joe brought from his band DNCE. Some examples would be “Don’t Throw it Away,” “Only Human” and “Stranger.” Other songs such as “Love Her,” “Trust” and “Every Single Time” have a sound that’s similar to Nick Jonas’ solo material. It was an interesting idea to mix the classic Jonas Brothers sound with Nick and Joe’s solo sound, but it didn’t completely recreate the band’s music.

Some of the new songs are more sentimental. For Nick, “I Believe” is the most meaningful track because it was written as a tribute to his life with Priyanka Chopra Jonas, starting from when they dated to the present as a married couple. In an interview with Alyssa Bailey from Elle, Nick explained that each verse is about a part of their relationship. He sings, "Call me crazy / People saying that we move too fast / But I've been waiting, and for a reason / Ain’t no turning back / 'Cause you show me something I can't live without / I believe, I believe, I believe." When he decided to ask Chopra to marry him, many people told Nick he was rushing and should continue to just date, but he still proposed, and she said yes. The song has a smooth beat, and fans can tell that he wanted this to be a special song.

While “I Believe” was about Nick and his wife, “Hesitate” is based on Joe and his wife’s story. Earlier this year, Joe married “Game of Thrones” star Sophie Turner Jonas. In a story for Elle, he said that a majority of the lyrics come from actual love letters he wrote to her while she was filming the final season of the popular show. When listeners hear this song, it’s easy to tell how much Turner means to him. Prior to their marriage, Turner was suffering from depression, so the lyrics are about comfort and always being there for someone. A line that emphasizes this idea comes during the bridge when Joe sings, “Pull me close and I'll hold you tight / Don't be scared 'cause I'm on your side / Know there's nothing I wouldn't do for you.”

The Jonas Brothers have returned to the music industry as a group again and made it back to the top of the charts with “Happiness Begins.” With an album released, sold-out tour across the U.S., and big sales in other continents, the boys don’t seem like they’re stopping anytime soon.

Contact Gracie Brogowski at brogowsx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.