IMG_1402.JPG

These rich, buttery cookies pair well with morning or afternoon tea.

This week, The Culture Kitchen is making shortbread cookies infused with Earl Grey tea to complement a cozy afternoon tea time or satisfy one’s sweet tooth in the morning. These cookies are super easy with only five ingredients and minimal hands-on time. 

This recipe is courtesy of the food blog Sugar & Soul and is aptly named for the English drama television series “Downton Abbey.” These dainty and sophisticated cookies will make one feel like they’re living amongst royalty as they savor the fresh tea flavor and buttery texture.

Note: It’s important to allow the tea leaves to infuse into the butter for at least two hours. This means one won’t be able to make the cookies all at one time, but if one plans ahead, the process should be quick and simple.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

• 1-2 bags Earl Grey tea leaves

• ½ cup powdered sugar

• 2 cups all-purpose flour

• ½ tsp salt

Instructions:

In a stand mixer, blend the butter and tea leaves together and allow the mixture to infuse for at least two hours. Once the flavors have infused, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In the stand mixer, cream the butter, tea and powdered sugar. Add the flour and salt and continue to mix until the dough forms. The dough will look crumbly at first, but it’ll come together. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thickness. Cut out the cookies using a cookie cutter or cut into two-inch squares with a knife. Bake on the parchment-lined baking sheets for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.

Check out the step-by-step tutorial below:

Contact Ryann Sheehy at sheehyrl@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.