grammy awards

Artists like Cardi B, Post Malone and Dua Lipa may be taking home shiny gold Grammy statue this year.

The nominees for the 61st Grammy Awards were announced on Dec. 7. This year, there are 30 different genres of music represented and 84 unique award categories. Jen Aswad, Jeremy Helligard and Roy Trakin from Variety.com that this is the first year where there are eight nominees per category instead of five. Here are the nominees for Best New Artist, Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Record of the Year as well as who could potentially take home the Grammy.

Best New Artist

While this is the first Grammy’s that won’t have an Artist of the Year category, they kept Best New Artist. This year’s nominees are:

• Chloe X Halle

• Luke Combs

• Greta Van Fleet

• H.E.R.

• Dua Lipa

• Margo Price

• Bebe Rexha

• Jorja Smith

Dua Lipa is the likely favorite to win this award due to her success with “New Rules” and “IDGAF.” She’s one of biggest debut artists in Europe according to Variety and had an amazing year on Spotify with over 92 million streams.

Album of the Year

The Academy chose to nominate:

• “Invasion of Privacy” (Cardi B)

• “By The Way, I Forgive You” (Brandi Carlile)

• “Scorpion” (Drake)

• “H.E.R” (H.E.R)

• “Beerbongs and Bentleys” (Post Malone)

• “Dirty Computer (Janelle Monáe)

• “Golden Hour” (Kacey Musgrave)

• “Black Panther: The Album” (Various Artists)

Out of these five albums, Drake’s “Scorpion” might have the best chance of winning this category. “Scorpion” broke multiple Billboard records and became the first album to hit one billion global streams in one week. It was also No. 1 on the Billboard top 100 for more than five weeks in a row. Two of his songs were on the Billboard top-10 songs of 2018 with “In My Feelings” as No. 8  “God’s Plan” as No. 1.

Song of the Year

The nominees are:

• “All The Stars” (Kendrick Lamar and SZA, “Black Panther: The Album”)

• “Boo’d Up” (Ella Mai)

• “God’s Plan” (Drake, “Scorpion”)

• “In My Blood” (Shawn Mendes, “Shawn Mendes”)

• “The Joke” (Brandi Carlile, “By The Way, I Forgive You”)

• “The Middle” (Zedd feat. Marren Morris and Grey)

• “Shallow” (Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, “A Star is Born: The Album”)

• “This is America” (Childish Gambino)

These were all popular songs, but “Shallow” seems to have the best chance to win this category. Chuck Arnold from The New York Post believes it will “lead the nominees.” This song was featured in the movie “A Star is Born,” which gained popularity quickly, and fans of the movie soon fell in love with the soundtrack.

Record of the Year

Song of the Year recognizes the writers, while Record of the Year looks at the other contributor such as the producers, mixers, recording engineers and the singers themselves. For Record of the Year, The Academy nominated:

• “I Like It” (Cardi B, Bad Bunny and J Balvin)

• “The Joke” (Brandi Carlile)

• “This is America” (Childish Gambino)

• “God’s Plan” (Drake, “Scorpion”)

• “All The Stars” (Kendrick Lamar and SZA, “Black Panther: The Album)

• “Rockstar” (Post Malone feat. 21 Savage)

• “The Middle” (Zedd, Marren Morris and Grey)

For this category, “Shallow” would also be the likely winner. Again, this is due to the popularity of the movie “A Star is Born” and “Shallow” being the biggest song on the soundtrack. Gaga and Cooper did a great rendition of this song and brought thousands of movie goers to tears. This record also became No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 when the album was released.

The 61st Grammy Awards will air live on Sunday, Feb. 10 at 8 p.m. on CBS. While this year’s host is still to be determined, many people believe that it may be “Late Late Show” star James Corden for the third time, due to his past success in this role. 2018 was a great for the music industry and it will be exciting to see who will be taking home a Grammy this year.

Contact Gracie Brogowski at brogowsx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.