bachelor

Colton Underwood shined as this year's Bachelor. But who'd he end up with?

After 10 long weeks of searching for love, Colton Underwood’s season of “The Bachelor” has come to an end. It’s safe to say the former NFL tight end, who was once known as the virgin bachelor, is no longer one.

“The Bachelor” host Chris Harrison always teases that every season finale will be the “most dramatic” one yet and it’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever seen before, but this finale was the most dramatic and unexpected one I’ve ever watched. Colton started off the final week of the show with three women, then got dumped by his top choice. Then he sent the other two women home and finally got a second chance with the one who initially left him. Most seasons usually end with a proposal, but this wasn’t the case for Colton.

Last week, we saw frontrunner Cassie Randolph, a 23-year-old speech pathologist, break Colton’s heart and leave him since she wasn’t ready to move forward in her relationship with him. Colton told Cassie he loved her and that she’s the one he’d choose in the end, even though he still had the two other women there, which has never happened on the show before.

Colton was upset Cassie didn’t reciprocate his feelings, and as a result, he jumped an 8-foot fence in Portugal in an attempt to run away and leave the show. Show host Chris Harrison was seen chasing Colton and looking for him since he disappeared for a period of time. Eventually, Chris and the production crew found him. Colton told them he didn’t want to continue the show if it wasn’t Cassie with him in the end. He knew he had to end his relationships with the two other women who were still there.

The first part of the finale focused on the aftermath of Colton jumping the fence and coping with Cassie’s departure. He decided to send Tayshia Adams and Hannah Godwin home, who were the remaining two women at the time. Both women declared their love for him during previous episodes and were shocked when Colton broke up with them.

With Tayshia and Hannah G. gone, Colton was alone. He knew his next step was to win Cassie back and prove to her that they’re meant to be together. Cassie was seen packing her bags in a hotel room when Colton knocked on the door, which came as a surprise to her. She didn’t think that Colton would come back to fight for her.

Colton and Cassie had a conversation where he told her that he sent the other women home — she was the only one left for him. Initially in shock, Cassie seemed more understanding and was willing to try and give Colton another chance.

After their initial reunion, they flew to Spain where Cassie met Colton’s family. The meeting seemed awkward since Cassie was hesitant about expressing her feelings to his family and still didn’t know where she stood with Colton, but wanted to keep trying.

On the couple’s final date, viewers saw Cassie open up and admit her true feelings that she was starting to become more aware of. Their day ended with dinner and the overnight date, also known as the fantasy suite. The next morning, Colton seemed to be in a giddier mood and many viewers assumed he finally lost his virginity.

After their time in Spain, the couple came out to talk to Chris Harrison about where they stand today in front of a live studio audience. Viewers learned that the couple is now happily dating and in love, and an engagement might happen soon. Colton and Cassie disclosed that they’ve been spending a great deal of time together and are excited for their future.

The finale ended with the announcement of the new star of “The Bachelorette:” Hannah Brown, who finished in seventh place during Colton’s season. Hannah is also a pageant queen who was crowned Miss Alabama USA 2018 and competed in Miss USA that same year. During the live finale, Hannah met the first five men who will appear in her season and even gave her first rose out to Cam Ayala, a new contender.

Hannah’s season of “The Bachelorette” will premiere on May 13 on ABC.

Contact Vanessa Nikolic at nikolivx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.