fullsizeoutput_3a7b.jpeg

This Thanksgiving charcuterie board serves up fall-inspired flavors and a warm oozing brie wheel.

Thanksgiving is most well known for the large feast served at dinner time, but there’s no reason one can’t partake in delicious food all day. This Thanksgiving fall-inspired charcuterie board is fun to make and sure to impress loved ones during the holiday season.

Start with a warm brie centerpiece

For the focus of this board, one will want to prepare a warm, flavorful, oozing brie wheel. When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing like melty cheese to warm one from the inside out. This cheese is both sweet and savory, and it's perfect for dipping.

Ingredients

• 1 8 oz. wheel of brie

• 1-2 cloves garlic

• Honey

• Fresh cracked pepper

• 1-2 sprigs thyme

• Olive oil

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the brie wheel on parchment paper in a baking dish. Cut slits in the top of the cheese in a crosshatch pattern. Grate 1-2 cloves of garlic and rub them into the brie. Next, drizzle with honey and rub it into the slits. Sprinkle some pepper and thyme leaves on top and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until the rind is golden. Remove from the dish and place on the board.

Chef’s note: I added some dried cranberries on top for an extra touch of color.

Bake some Trader Joe’s goodies

To make this charcuterie extra special, I added some camembert and cranberry filo bites from Trader Joe’s that were easy to pop in the oven and heat up. One can browse the aisles of their local grocery store for any assortment of frozen or fresh treats that’d pair well with their board’s flavors. Trader Joe’s has inexpensive and easy options in its frozen section.

Add seasonal sliced cheeses

For this cheese board, I wanted to go with a few different types of cheese that reminded me of Thanksgiving flavors. I used a manchego cheese and a soft cow’s milk cheese with cumin and cloves mixed in. Both of these added dimension to the flavors on the board and looked festive, but one should feel free to choose any cheeses they have on hand or enjoy.

Choose fall-inspired crackers

To tie in the fall flavors, one’s choice of cracker is important. My favorites are the rosemary and raisin crisps from Trader Joe’s because their spiced, festive theme pair well with the cheeses. One should look for crackers with different dried fruit, herbs or spices incorporated to bring out the flavors of the cheese.

Fill in the gaps with assorted garnishes

To achieve the overflowing look that all good charcuterie boards have, one will need to fill in the small gaps in space with garnishes and goodies. Some easy fillers include nuts, dried fruit and grapes. One can also use herbs like rosemary to garnish and add extra color to the presentation.

Charcuterie boards don’t have to be giant, nor do they need to be labor-intensive. This easy-to-follow guide should result in a colorful, festive holiday cheese board that doesn’t break the bank or take too long to put together. Go for flavors that remind one of the season and have fun with it, and this appetizer is sure to wow.

Contact Ryann Sheehy at sheehyrl@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.