Chocolate-covered strawberries

There's no better way to please chocolate lovers this Valentines Day than a gift of hand-dipped chocolate-covered strawberries. 

While some say love is in the air around Valentine’s Day, the better way to celebrate is with the sweet smell of desserts being whipped up in the kitchen. Celebrate the holiday in the kitchen. Rather than spending money on expensive chocolates to impress a loved one, try one of these three no-bake recipes. Without an oven, these three desserts require little time commitment with a tasty reward.

1. Chocolate-covered strawberries

Ingredients / How to:

• 1 pound strawberries with stems (about 20), washed and dried

• 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped and melted on the stove

• Red or pink food coloring — apply when chocolate is melted and stir in

• Sprinkles — apply once strawberries are dipped in chocolate

• Refrigerate uncovered for about 30 minutes or until chocolate is firm and ready to serve

2. Decorated doughnuts

Ingredients / How to:

• Fresh box of doughnuts

• 1 cup of sifted icing sugar

• 5+ teaspoonfuls of heavy cream (add more as needed to create desired consistency)

• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

• Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth to create vanilla glaze

• Add desired food coloring to glaze

• Dip the donuts in glaze coloring

• Add sprinkles to decorate

3. Oreo truffles

Ingredients / How to:

• 1 box of Oreo cookies

• Mix cream cheese and 3 cups cookie crumbs until well-blended

• Shape into 1-inch balls.

• Dip in melted white chocolate with desired food coloring

• Place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet

• Sprinkle remaining cookie crumbs or choice of sprinkles

• Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm

These three sugary recipes can conquer the sweet-tooth craving and spread the holiday spirit without setting the fire alarm off in the kitchen. If Valentine's Day isn't a favorite holiday, take this as an opportunity to keep busy baking rather than buried in blankets, binge-watching cheesy romantic comedies.

Contact Maria Keuler at keulermc@dukes.jmu.eduFor more on culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.

Maria Keuler is a senior media arts & design and Spanish double major. She writes about what she loves — fitness and a healthy lifestyle. If all goes as planned with her future, you'll catch her on TV in the mornings broadcasting your local news.