Lorei_graftonstovall-2.jpg

The theatre located behind Madison Union and Dukes Dining Hall is showing a wide array of movies after students return from Thanksgiving break.

After a week filled with family, turkey and stuffing comes to a close, students may be left with the decision of whether or not to return to campus to resume classes in the online-only learning format. All exams and course meetings will be entirely online: however, JMU’s campus will remain open for the students that return. Here are a few things for students who return to participate in. 

1. Grafton-Stovall Theatre movies

The theatre located behind Madison Union and Dukes Dining Hall is showing a wide array of movies after students return from Thanksgiving break. Movie tickets are free for JMU students and staff with a valid JACard, and tickets cost $3 for the public. Popcorn is also available for $1 each.

• Tuesday, Dec. 8 from 7:00-9:00 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will beshowing the film “Frozen II.” 

• Wednesday, Dec. 9 from 7:00-9:00 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will beshowing the film “Tangled.” 

• Thursday, Dec. 10 from 7:00-9:00 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will beshowing the film “Hairspray.” 

• Friday, Dec. 11 from 7:30-9:30 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will beshowing the film “It's a Wonderful Life.” 

• Saturday, Dec. 12 from 7:30-9:30 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will beshowing the film “Elf." 

• Monday, Dec. 14 from 3:00-5:00 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will beshowing the film “Happy Feet.” 

• Tuesday, Dec. 15 from 3:00-5:00 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will be showing the film “The Grinch” starring Jim Carrey.

• Wednesday, Dec. 16 from 3:00-5:00 p.m.: Grafton-Stovall Theatre will be showing the film “The Polar Express.” 

1. More movies to watch at Festival lower drum

Festival Conference and Student Center will also be showing an array of movies if the times at Grafton-Stovall Theatre conflict or the chilly air is too much to handle. Lower drum is the bottom floor of Festival and includes the stage. 

• Tuesday, Dec. 8 from 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Student Life will beshowing the film “It’s a Wonderful Life.” 

• Wednesday, Dec. 9 from 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Student Life will beshowing the film “Elf." Thursday, Dec. 10 from 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Student Life will beshowing the film “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.” 

1. UREC activities 

Check out UREC’s website for more details about these events and for online video workouts on itsYouTube channel. There are also virtual resources to access mindfulness, wellness, adventure, sports, games and inclusive recreation education videos. 

• Wednesday, Dec. 16 from 12-4 p.m.: UREC is hosting the event “Warm a Winter Wish,” the annual UREC Wrapping Party where students can wrap gifts with UREC students and professional employees. There are four time slots to register for the event due to the 25-person limit for on-campus events.

1. Off-campus activities 

If the on-campus activities aren’t down one’s alley, check out activities off campus that one can go to.

• Billy Jacks will be delivering mimosa care packages, four-pack Bold Rock, six-pack Bud Light and any tapped beers from 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday and until 11 p.m. on the weekends for any students 21 and over who need a break from studying or to celebrate the end of finals.

• Ruby’s Arcade will host “Happy Hour Blues” from 4-6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and “Sunday Funday” every Sunday from 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. including 25% off pizza and drink specials.

The constant changes on campus can be overwhelming, but there are still opportunities on and off campus to experience JMU and what downtown Harrisonburg has to offer.

Contact Christina Butchko at butchkcl@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter and Instagram @Breeze_Culture.