St. Patrick's Day

There's a wide array of events in Harrisonburg for Saint Patrick's Day so make sure to get out and celebrate. 

St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Saturday this year, opening up the whole weekend to its celebration. The holidays original name, the Feast of Saint Patrick, is the Irish holiday honoring the death of the patron saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick. While an assortment of places around the world celebrate the holiday differently, here in Harrisonburg, local businesses are taking full advantage of the opportunity with plenty of events planned for the weekend.

Get Lucky with Jimmy

March 16-18 from 11 a.m.-11 p.m.

Jimmy Madison’s Southern Kitchen and Bourbon Bar

In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, local restaurant Jimmy Madison’s is kicking off the weekend with a menu composed of traditional Irish delicacies such as shepards hand pie, haggis, fish chowder and many others. To top it all off, the restaurant will offer green beer to bring out customers’ inner leprechaun.

Corgans’ Publick House St. Patrick’s Day Celebration

March 17 from 8 a.m.-11 p.m.

Corgans’ Publick House

This Irish pub is bringing a true taste of Ireland this St. Patrick’s Day, with a full day of festivities in store. The Publick House will offer a traditional Irish session of live music from at 9 a.m.-12 p.m. followed by a traditional Irish folk music performance from The Nealons from 12:30-2:30 p.m. The night will close out with a performance from Garst & Co. who’ll be rocking the house from 7-11 p.m. Aside from the entertainment, Corgans’ will be serving a traditional Irish menu and green beer along with plenty of Guinness and Jameson.

St. Patrick’s Day Breakfast Beers Release with Waffle Yum

March 17 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.

The Friendly Fermenter

With a holiday that places beer on a pedestal, why not start the day bright and early with some breakfast beers at the Waffle Yum food truck? This Saturday, the truck will sit in the parking lot of The Friendly Fermenter. Waffle Yum will release exclusive breakfast inspired beers such as a batch of the popular Coffee Stout "Brehfuss" beer along with many others.

St. Patrick's Day at Restless Moons Brewing

March 17 from noon-midnight

Restless Moons Brewing

Restless Moons Brewing Company looks toward St. Patrick’s Day —a holiday a lot of people celebrate with a beer in their hands — to bring some business through its doors. In celebration of the holiday, the brewery will offer a variety of beers, including green beer and many others. Live music hosted by StarBaby and The Rolling Oms along with performances by Many Nights Ahead, Madly Backwards, Kelvin Candela, Trout Mouth and Lola Bola promise a night filled with live music.

St. Patrick’s Day Shenanigans

March 17 from noon-11 p.m.

Three Notch’d Valley Collab House

Three Notch’d Valley Collab House will host St. Patrick’s Day Shenanigans featuring green beer as well as specialty draft beer taps throughout the day to make the most of this holiday. The bar will partner with local food truck Mashita which will offer lunch and dinner with a menu made up of Irish bites. Happy hour will be in session from 4-9 p.m. and live music from musician Chris Hansen at 8 p.m.

St. Patrick's Day Celebration with Hank’s Fly’n Pig

March 17 from noon-11 p.m.

Brothers Craft Brewing

The southern cooking of McGaheysville and Virginia’s local food truck, Hank’s Fly’n Pig, is coming to Harrisonburg. In light of St. Patrick’s Day, Brothers Craft Brewing is partnering with the food truck to bring Hank’s Fly’n Pig’s meals to Harrisonburg residents. The chefs will put a spin on their original menu by featuring traditional Irish items such as corned beef, Irish nachos, local lamb and beer cheese. Along with Irish food, Brothers Craft Brewing will serve some traditional Irish beers which can be enjoyed to the tunes of Irish music and games. March Madness will be on all TVs to make sure basketball fans don't miss a minute of the game while still being able to make the most of the holiday.

St. Patrick’s Day free public concert

March 17 from 5:30 p.m.-6:15 p.m.

Edith J. Carrier Arboretum

The Harrisonburg community isn’t the only one taking part in the St. Patrick's Day festivities. On Saturday, JMU and the EJC Arboretum will host a free concert open to the public with a performance from Celtic strings player, Kate Hummel. This event invites a relaxing evening full of song and dance. Bring some lawn chairs, blankets and maybe even a bite to eat and unwind to the traditional sounds of the fiddle, bodhran, tin whistle and guitar with some friends. Free parking for the event will be available in Convocation Lot G.

Cardinal Folk LIVE for St. Patrick’s Day

March 17 from 8 p.m.-10:45 p.m.

The Friendly Fermenter

Cardinal Folk, a local one-man folk act, discovered his love for folk music after receiving requests to play bluegrass, country and folk music from patrons in a duckpin bowling alley he previously owned. After selling the bowling alley, he learned the guitar, started writing music and began to center his work around the genres he learned to love early in his career. On Saturday, local brew-on-site brew shop and nanobrewery, The Friendly Fermenter, will host a live music performance from Cardinal Folk.

Morgan Dean at Capital Ale House for St. Patrick’s Day

March 17 from 8 p.m.-11 p.m.

Capital Ale House

Capital Ale House’s Harrisonburg location invites people to come celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. It’ll offer Irish food, Irish beer pairings and live music performed by Morgan Dean starting at 8 p.m.

Both JMU and the Harrisonburg community have plenty to offer this holiday weekend. Grab some friends, put on some green and spend this Saturday eating traditional Irish food and dancing to Celtic tunes with a cold beer in hand.

Contact Emily Montoya at montoyem@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.

Emily Montoya is a sophomore media arts & design major from Newtown, Connecticut. When she isn't writing you can find her on a run, cooking or playing with dogs on the Quad.