Summer fashion .png

It's finally time to grab that new, stylish swimsuit. See what writer Sarah Connor suggests for this season.

Dukes are currently cramming on the libraries, studying for hours on end and not focusing on anything past final exams. It’s likely no one has the time to research summer trends and find affordable styles to buy in time for the season. That’s why we did it for you.

Women’s Trends

Swimwear

The high-waisted trend has been around for a while now and has entered into swimwear. High-waisted bikini bottoms are everywhere, and shoppers will definitely see them this summer. Scoop neck tops have also become a popular swimwear style. These trends are sold almost anywhere people can buy swimsuits. Combine both with this striped bralette bikini top and matching high leg bikini bottoms from Forever 21 or this scoop neck top and high-waisted bottoms set from Aerie Swim.

Animal Print

There are currently thousands of leopard styles available on the market. While it’s obvious leopard is the new black, snakeskin is also another print gaining popularity. These two prints are about to be all over swimsuits, cover-ups, beach bags, shorts and more. A great way to incorporate leopard print without overdoing it is through accessories. Leopard print shoes are the perfect way to spice up any plain outfit. A casual sandal like Coolway’s bory espadrille platform sandal or the leopard slides from H&M is great for summer. Designer Shoe Warehouse also has plenty of options at a wide variety of price points. There are other accessories besides shoes such as the Lulu’s double down gold and leopard print belt and Amazon’s leopard scrunchie set. Snakeskin looks best for summer in thin, soft fabrics. This midi skirt from Pretty Little Thing has perfect flowy, summer vibes. Snakeskin also looks great on your handbag. Pair the Romwe snakeskin chain bag with an outfit to instantly look more put together.

Men’s Trends

Blue Jeans

Light colors are a constant occurrence during the warmer months, so it’s no surprise that lighter denim is a staple for this summer. Grab a pair of blue jeans for a breezy summer night. For a classic look, try the Levi’s 505 regular fit jeans in the color Sinaloa. A more affordable option is the straight rigid jeans by Old Navy in the color Light Wash.

Quarter Socks

Socks are no longer something to be worn for convenience. They’re an essential part of an outfit. For a pair that goes with everything, grab some Nike everyday cushion socks in white. More colorful options can be found at Vans, like the checkerboard crew sock in multiple colors. Or, look to less expensive brands like Forever 21, with their color block crew socks.

Trends for everyone

Neon

Another trend that has found its way into American fashion is neon. Neon can be incorporated into every part of an outfit. Whether it be a full statement or a more subdued touch, this pop of color is perfect for the summer heat. While this bright palette hasn’t caught on with all retailers, it can be found at many affordable clothing brands. The best option for men’s neon clothing is Zumiez. For a bold statement, try the Odd Future neon anorak jacket. For something more subtle, the Stance OG neon socks from Zumiez are a good choice. Women’s fashion has a much larger selection the largest being found on the online shop Pretty Little Thing with 602 neon styles. The best storefront selection is housed at Forever 21. For a complete neon look, wear the neon yellow ribbed square neck body dress from Pretty Little Thing. To add in a bit of neon, grab a pair from the neon threaded hoop earrings set from Forever 21 to wear with a regular outfit.

Tie-Dye

While Tie-Dye has been around forever, it hasn’t been considered a trend in recent years – until now. Tie-dye is on the come up, and your summer wardrobe needs to be prepared. American Eagle’s Tailgate section has tie-dyed MLB, NBA and college shirts so that individuals can support their favorite team in a creative way. Footwear is also creating tie-dye styles, such as Vans’ new tie dye era lace-up sneakers and Converse’s tie-dye print offered in its All Star low top and platform shoes. Men and women can incorporate tie-dye into their swimwear with the south beach tie-dye swim trunks from Pacsun or the Tie-Dye cutout one-piece from Forever 21.

Contact Sarah Connor at connorse@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.